Re: Remote Connectivity Mystery

Author: Kevin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Remote Connectivity Mystery
On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 09:58, Charlie Bullen wrote:
> I have a fast ADSL connectikon at home and as far as I can tell, no
> restrictions on traffic using port 3389.

Just thinking out loud, but how do you know your ISP does not restrict
port 3389 (they _probably_ don't). From home, test the TCP level
connectivity with something like this:

$ nc -vv fw.customer.com 3389

If the port is not blocked, it should respond with something like:
"fw.customer.com [10.10.10.1] 3389 open"

If the port is blocked it should respond with something like:
"fw.customer.com [10.10.10.1] 3389 : Connection refused
sent 0, rcvd 0"

Of course, if you get the second response, then we need to determine at
what point in the path it is being blocked.

If you don't have netcat (`nc`), you can do the same with telnet. Or,
grab netcat from:
http://www.mirrors.wiretapped.net/security/packet-construction/netcat/

Depending on your distribution, it shouldn't be hard to find in your
normal package mgmt system.

...Kevin