Re: cluster software

Author: George Toft
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: cluster software
Michael Havens wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 July 2004 11:13, Kevin Brown wrote:
>
>>1) You have a problem that can be broken into smaller chunks and the output
>>when recombined gives you the overall solution.
>>2) You want to divide the load of an application across multiple systems to
>>help it scale.
>

> So, then clustering it won't make it so that a couple of wimpy computer (I
> have an AMD K6) will act like a MANLY computer? Do you understand me? Like a
> couple of older processors acting like an athlon or a PIII.

I built a MOSIX cluster about 18 months ago. I was expecting super
performance and was disappointed. MOSIX is wonderful for multi-threaded
applications and works by analyzing what node is under the heaviest load
and then transfering a process to another node. Unfortunately, the only
time my system was under heavy load was once per day during a massive
mysql update, which was pretty single-threaded; and when creating VCD's,
which was pretty single threaded. MOSIX was the wrong tool for solving
my problem, but I sure learned alot about clustering and kernel compiles.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
CIO
AGD,LLC
www.agdllc.com