Re: Academic software-patent references

Author: Ted Gould
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Academic software-patent references
On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 06:57, Bill Jonas wrote:
> I'll just state up front that this is for homework. I'm currently
> taking a composition class and I've picked software patents as the topic
> for the final essay (argumenative/persuasive format).

I don't have any references, but I found this kind of interesting.

I was talking to an IP lawyer this week and I asked him "What do you
think is wrong with the USPTO?" (yeah, I like playing with fire) And he
gave an interesting response. Apparently, the money that is payed to
get a patent reviews becomes 'income' for the government, and so
congress can allocated it as they wish. So, even though all of these
inventors are spending $x to get their patent reviewed by the USPTO, a
small portion of x is actually spent on reviewers. So, therefore the
reviewers are overworked and can't spend the time required to do a good
job.

I thought that was interesting - and an argument that I hadn't heard
before.

        --Ted