Re: cluster software

Author: KevinO
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: cluster software
Michael Havens wrote:

> On Monday 12 July 2004 23:25, Alan Dayley wrote:
>
>>B) A cluster is when you group several computers together to act as one
>>more powerful computer. This is for creating faster servers for large data
>>needs or fast math operations.

Since you are a Debian fan, (and most of the cluster-distributions are more
RedHat based) I suggest : cluster-knoppix:

http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/

You will also want to become more familiar with networking, PXE booting,
(open)mosix, PBS, SGE, and probably ganglia for a high-level monitoring view.

These are some of the more commonly used tools to setup and administer a cluster.

You might want to do some reading about ROCKS and OSCAR, although most
distributions that I have seen that implement these are based on RedHat,
Mandrake, or Suse.

If you are building a cluster, it is probably wise, in your case, to put two
NICs into your front-end node and set up a separate network for the slave
nodes to share with the front-end. Yes, this means you will need another
switch....

- --
KevinO

"Wha...what does that mean?"
"It doesn't mean anything."
"Everybody falls the first time. Right, Trin?"

        -- Mouse, Switch and Cypher, "The Matrix"