Re: Request recommendations for purchase of new system

Author: KevinO
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Request recommendations for purchase of new system
Austin Godber wrote:
> Josef Lowder wrote:
>
>> I am planning to build a new system and would appreciate having any
>> recommendations PLUG members would be willing to offer regarding the
>> most workable and cost-sensible hardware configuration (desktop).
>

> Hi,
>     I have bought a few thousand dollars worth of components from
> http://www.mwave.com and never been disappointed.  There is one thing I
> would emphasize is that don't go cheap on the motherboard, RAM, or
> powersupply.

>     I am partial to Abit motherboards and have had good luck with Asus
> also.  Others may have a good suggestion for RAM and powersupply.

I strongly second the vote for mwave. I've sent them over $700 just this month...

An Antec True-Power 330 is $50. An Asus A7N8X-X is $67 . An OEM (no fan)
Athlon XP2800+ is about $100. The really good Vantec copper heatsink/fan is
$27.50. A Seagate 7200 RPM 40GB HD is $54.

- --
KevinO

"Wha...what does that mean?"
"It doesn't mean anything."
"Everybody falls the first time. Right, Trin?"

        -- Mouse, Switch and Cypher, "The Matrix"