Re: dist-upgrade on production system

Author: Jonathan Furrer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: dist-upgrade on production system
Actually, it kind of does, but heres the dirty little secret behind it.
I generally build my own stuff, then create a package based off of what
I built. Whether it be on solaris or linux (for which I choose slack).
Then I use those packages for replication, but...they're still packages
I made so I still maintain control. Before I got into making my own
packages, I would use a set of scripts to build things with little or no
interaction from me, I'd just go grab the latest of whatever, pull up my
script for it, set a couple of vars and fire it off.

My point being that building your own stuff is easily scaleable, used to
do it for a 20 solaris box environment, which isn't the biggest, but I
wouldn't call it small.

I think we all have our own styles of admin, that's just mine.