multi boot

Author: Stephen Wiebelhaus
To: plug-discuss
Subject: multi boot
I am trying to get a 3 boot system to work. I started
out with Win98. Then I added Suse Linux. The dual boot
worked fine, with Win98 on hda1 and linux on hda3.
Then I added WinXP. Ok, I made a few partition changes
at the same time. The primary drive became secondary,
so that Win98 is on hdb1. I installed WinXP on the new
harddrive, on hda1. It works fine. So I installed
Suse9, on hda2. That works fine, I can boot WinXP or
Suse.
When I try to boot Win98 is when nothing happens. Grub
comes up, I request Win98, then the screen goes black,
except for a flashing cursor in the top left. So I
swapped the master and slave drive settings, so I can
boot Win98 directly, it won't boot that way anymore.
Looks like when I installed WinXp or Suse on the
master drive, it blewup the MBR on the slave drive.
I used the Win98 rescue disk, and tried to restore
the boot wth that, but it didn't work. Anyone know how
I can restore the MBR or partition boot record for
hdb1, so I can boot Win98 again?