Re: LTSP (or alternative) and busybox and window manager and…

Author: Bryce C
To: PLUG
Subject: Re: LTSP (or alternative) and busybox and window manager and browser
Responces in-line.

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 18:12, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > installs). I just made a folder and installed Gentoo in to it (more than
> > just folling the docs install though) and from there, the clients boot
> > up, grab their DHCP leases and then d/l the kernel from the tftp server,
> > from there on, it's just an NFS filesystem like the LTSP stuff. There
>
> That is basically what I was going to do.
>
> Did you use pxelinux? Did you build your own?

Both. Some clients supported PXE (which made life easy) but the rest had
to use etherboot. It took a day of trial-and-error to get a normal
kernel to boot with etherboot, but I got it eventually. I just can't
remember what it was. mknbi I think.

> Did you build your own custom kernel for the thin-client (to mount and use
> nfs for root for example before init is ran)? If so, any pointers on what
> you did?

LOL, of course it's a custom kernel in Gentoo. IIRC, I had to include
kernel DHCP support and NFS as a root.

> Or just boot a small memory disk (initrd) and then mount and run
> pivot_root?

Nope. Straight off the NFS. Nice and quick and easy.

> Did you use a NFS swapping patch for your kernel? (I probably will not use
> that.)

Since the computers are mainly handling just one or two processes,
mainly CPU cycles, I just run it from the ram. The boxes are anywhere
between 64Mb and 128Mb of ram.

> > LTSP is like a distro, all the tools are out there free and you can do
> > it your own. LTSP is just a glue between the programs.
>
> Does this mean you used LTSP to provide some parts (some "glue") for your
> thin-client solution?

Nope. It was just an idea, but was too limiting for me to do this with.
All clients are identical, but it wouldn't be too hard to set up some
per-IP/machine rules. The only glue I used was Gentoo. Boy did I get
high! :-P

Good luck