Re: too much data on disk~ 'x' won't start

Author: KevinO
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: too much data on disk~ 'x' won't start
Michael Havens wrote:

> There is so much data on my disk that when I sstarted Linux this morning 'x'

wouldn't start. The precursor to this was last night I did 'rm /mnt/hda5/*'
(my music drive). I thought that maybe it was that the trash bin was needed to
be emptied, but I found that to be not full except for one small file (I had
emptied it last night). So I thought maybe it was somewhere else on the drive
and did 'find / S*' (most of my music starts with an S as in Styx and Stevie
Nicks and Swing) but after that long search that proved to be fruitless. So
where could all that extra data be that are filling my disk be?
> Wait a second. I 'su root' so that means that it is in roots trash bin. I

think that is right. Let me know if I am not.
> :-)Mike(-:

When you use 'rm' to remove a file, it doesn't get transfered to a 'trash
bin', it is deleted completely and the disk space is now available to be used
for something else.

You may have a lot of excess stuff in your /tmp directory.

If you need to, you can start at the top of the filesystem 'tree' /

# cd /

Then use the du command to see how much space is used for each directory.

# du --max-depth=1

If you see something bigger than you think it should be, cd down a level and
do it again, until you find the large file(s).

# cd tmp
# du --max-depth=1

- --
KevinO

"Wha...what does that mean?"
"It doesn't mean anything."
"Everybody falls the first time. Right, Trin?"

        -- Mouse, Switch and Cypher, "The Matrix"