Re: Way OT: obsolete MS driver resources

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Way OT: obsolete MS driver resources
>> But for 95? For about a year, until six months ago, I was working as a
>> PC technician at a computer retailer (damned economy). Customers of
>> ours who needed the OS reloaded and didn't have the recovery CDs
>> couldn't get them for computers that came with Windows 98, let alone 95.
>> (I'm not sure if it was all manufacturers or just certain ones.) I
>> specifically remember calling one of the manufacturers (might've been
>> HP) and being told that they could no longer sell anyone the recovery CD
>> because their contracts with Microsoft forbade them to do so.
>

> Probably due to the settlement between MS and Sun regarding the Windows
> VM vs JVM whereby MS agreed to stop infringing (and distributing) to the
> detriment of Sun.

More likely the same reason you can't find 9x on retail shelves. Microsoft
EOL'd 95 several years ago and so you couldn't find it any longer from any legal
channels and they are trying to EOL Win98 this year. I'm amazed that they are
willing to support their software for so long given that they make their money
by making people upgrade to the next version of OS/Office Suite.

IIRC Microsoft made OEMs stop shipping systems with the dual boot option of
Win2k/XP and only ship with XP a year or more back to get new buyers to either
have a Site License to put 2K on the machines or start upgrading them to XP
(which means the eventual upgrade from NT4 to Active Directory services). That
upgrade means that they might upgrade to the latest versions of Exchange which
requires an AD server (even if it is just for the Exchange server) to use it.
The only feature that I can see in exchange that isn't in most other mail
systems is the integrated calendaring features.