Some ideas for next time Was: How's the InstallFest going?

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Some ideas for next time Was: How's the InstallFest going?
Alexander Henry said:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:00:49 -0700, Craig Brooksby <>
> wrote:
>
>>> <SNIP>
>>

> I think that people RSVP'ing to installfests, or people who see it on the
> web, should be given a form. That way they go down the checklist and
> either make sure they bring their stuff or request it on the list if they
> don't have it.
>
> I'll think about this a bit.
>
> --
>
> --Alexander

Thanks to all,

I really found the InstallFest enjoyable and it is a good opportunity to
learn new things and to try out my skills in a "real world" environment.

I'd like to thank Charles B. from UAT who, I assume, was our host.

Here are a few of my thought for the next time.

1. Should we limit the round tables to laptops? I'd be afraid of
scratching the finish and ruining our welcome at UAT.

2. A number of people asked about where to get info on the Web. I think
I'll do a one-page "Getting Started with Slackware" sheet which briefly
explains the philosophy behind Slackware and some key web sites for
install and configure info. I think think this would work well for other
distros. It won't be obvious to the rank beginner (as it is to us) that
www.mandrakelinux.com is where you'd find more about MandrakeLinux.

3. For most people the CD-Live distros (Knoppix, SUSE-Live, etc.) are the
best way to start, IMO. Low risk and they can start using the desktop
desktop right away. Would be good to have a presentation on using Knoppix
to ID hardware before doing an actual install.

4. How about more advertising for the InstallFest? I thought about putting
a small ad in the computer classified section the Wednesday or Thursday
before that reads something like this:

INTERESTED IN LINUX: The Phoenix Linux Users Group holds a free
InstallFest the last Saturday of each month at UAT. For more information
<insert website> or call <insert phone>.

Dennisk