New file permissions

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: New file permissions
I have googled and checked the PLUG archive but I can't come up with the
right search terms to hit the answer to this problem.

Let's say that one Linux computer is shared by two people. They take
turns logging in and all is well. However, they have created a directory
called /shared for sharing files between each other. UserA creates a
document or other file and saves it as /shared/file1. When UserB logs in
they want to edit /shared/file1. But the owner and group permissions on
/shared/file1 are set to UserA and UserB can't edit and save it.

Both UserA and UserB are in the group Users. If /shared/file1 is set to
group Users, they now can both access it. But, as soon as one creates a
new file, like /shared/file2, it has the group set to the user who created
it!

How does one set the permissions and ownership of the /shared directory
such that all files created there have the correct group always set no
matter which user is the owner?

Alan