Re: Linux-compatible 8x AGP video card

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Bill Jonas
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux-compatible 8x AGP video card
On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 02:20:41PM -0400, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> The subject says it all. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Depends on what you mean. If you mean, "A card that is AGP 8X
compatible and will work with Linux," I'm using a Radeon 9200 by
Sapphire Technologies (DVI, VGA, and S-Video output). If you mean, "A
card that will work at 8X in Linux," well, Linux will only support
speeds up to 4X, the last I heard. (This might have changed in recent
kernels, though.) This was also what I found the last I tried to use my
card at 8X. (This was several months ago.)

BTW, the 9200 is probably the best card out there right now that will
give you 3D without using binary-only drivers. ATi or nVidia both
supply proprietary drivers for their cards.

--
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step