Re: Need Linux-friendly ISP

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Bill Jonas
To: PLUG
Subject: Re: Need Linux-friendly ISP
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 06:42:37PM -0700, Bryce C wrote:
> I'll also point out that one can use a dynamic dns service for any and
> all of these.

But since it's not changing on the local host, you can't just
automatically hook it in (as is extremely easy with the ISC's DHCP
client). You'd need to retrieve the info page, parse it for the
address, and compare it to last time. I'd probably use some combination
of curl/grep/awk/sed in the shell and store the address in a text file
under /var/run. Should be just a few minutes' work, and then schedule
cron to run that every 5 minutes or so.

--
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step