Re: IDE (Re: Any suggestions on how to improve this?)

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IDE (Re: Any suggestions on how to improve this?)
On Sunday 20 June 2004 14:12, you wrote:
> Trent Shipley wrote:
> >>
> >>I've started playing around with KDevelop (http://kdevelop.kde.org/) or
> >>maybe Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/). I believe it is OS Agnostic.
> >>
> >>I have only some minor experience with the various IDEs (including M$
> >> which is outside my price interest) since for most of my coding I just
> >> utilize VIM and the builtin syntax highlighting or Notepad.
> >
> > Don't Borland and IBM have commercial grade IDEs in Linux versions?
>
> Borland's is Kylix
> http://www.borland.com/kylix/
> http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_kylix.html

I've used Kylix extensively. It's not a bad product, especially for RAD
applications. But it's not open source (I think maybe you can buy access to
the source for $$$$) and the support is fairly expensive. If you want to do
a quick application with database support, it's great. But it is a bit
bloated memory wise - a Kylix app uses 8 MB of RAM right off the bat - so if
you want something lean, and mean, look into something else.

> IBM's is Eclispse IIRC.

Eclipse looks really good, though I have no experience with it except
attending an Eclipse presentation and downloading the IDE and installing it
on my system. Two drawbacks for my purposes (a) it's mainly a Java app, and
support for other languages (in my case C++) is not yet well developed and
(b) it doesn't seen to have a nice graphical GUI editing capability (like
Kylix) yet. It's been a few months since I looked at it so conceivably
somebody could have made plugins to give it those capabilities. (There was a
plugin for C++ supposedly, but I had trouble with it - I don't think I could
find all the pieces to get it to compile. It looked like it was a really new
project.)

I've done some look at GTKmm (a GNU thing), and though it's not up to the
ease of use of Kylix or Visual Studio, that's probably what I'll pick for my
next project. It supports C++ (the developers created it to put C++ support
on top of the standard C implementation of GTK). Though there's no graphical
GUI editing, it appears to have a reasonably powerful scripting-type language
for building dialogs.

Just my 2 cents.

Vaughn Treude