Any suggestions on how to improve this?

Author: Michael Havens
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Any suggestions on how to improve this?

I removed all references to any specific OS and I found some gramatical
errors.

Please, I want to send this in as a compilation piece so please, tell me where
and how to improve it and EVERYONE tell me if you want to be included in the
sig.

Would someone else also do some research into who else is using open source as
their OS.

Perhaps a suggestion about other open source OS I could put in besides Linux.
FreeBSD? Others?

ps. look at the note at the bottom

-> Editor
<- Concerned citizens

It has come to our attention that state and city governments of this state are
not acting in the best interest  of it's citizens. These organizations claim
that they have no money yet they continue to  give  hundreds of thousands of
dollars (if not then millions) to software manufactures. They continue to
do  this by leasing licenses for the operating systems (OS) produced by these
companies even though there are viable alternatives to the OS called RedHat
Linux or SUSE Linux or even Mepis Linux among many. Further, with  each new
upgrade of their operating system most of the old hardware becomes obsolete
requiring additional monies to make it so their OS will function. This is not
so with Linux. At our last install-fest we put a modern functioning Debian
Linux OS on a vintage 1991 laptop.

Linux is part of a movement called open source in which the source code (inner
workings of the program) is available for everyone to inspect and to improve
upon. While some say this leads to a less secure OS, that is not true.  The
individuals who write computer virii are are usually young and inexperienced
individuals who think they are smarter than they really are (this is why they
ALWAYS get caught). And while they are looking at the code with malicious
overtones the wiser, more experienced generations are inspecting the same code
fixing any security flaws they find in the OS.

Because the code is open for all to see it is also open for all to compile
(make operational). This means that it is free to use as your OS. But it goes
deeper than just the operating system, all of the applications included with
most distributions of the Linux OS are also open source. This means that for
practically nothing you can have an operating system that many believe is
superior to operating systems you must pay for with similar funtionality.

To close this letter I would like to show you government agencies that have
chosen to go with open source software:

-U.S. agencies like the Air Force, the Marine Corps, the Naval Research
  Laboratory, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the Agriculture and
  Energy Departments just to name a few
-Intelligence agencies in the US, Canada, Germany, England, Spain, France,
  and others
-The U.S. National Security Agency has even created its own version of Linux,
  Security-Enhanced Linux, available for download from its Web site

Some state, local, and federal governments that use open source include:

-State of Rhode Island
-Bloomington, Indiana
-Largo, Florida
-Garden Grove, California
-Austin, Texas (pilot program)
-City government of Rome, Italy
-City Government of Florence, Italy
-Government of Israel
-The German ofiice of Federal Finance.
-City government of Munich, Germany
-City government of Schwäbisch Hall, Germany
-The ministries of culture, defense, and education of France
-China uses Linux in their post offices
-China plans to use Linux solely in the 2008 Olympic games
-Taiwan plans to move half of it's government's computers to Linux by 2007

Sincerely:
Michael Havens
---

Note: I believe that it might be wise to say something about how it is not
possible to go entirely with our microsoft centered society but open source
on computerswill keep the costs down.

Something like:
  To close this letter I do have to say that while at the present time we may
  not be able to function completely with open source software this is a good
  solution to the city and state's financial problems.
  I now would finish with a listing of government agencies that have chosen to
  go with open source software:

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or viruses.
Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with every account.

http://www.vei.net/