Blindness

Author: ec
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Blindness
Today, while volunteering at the Scottsdale Senior
Center's open computer lab, I had someone come in and
ask about 'low vision/blind' computer usage. Since
these puters are Doze xp machines, all I had was
upping the font in Word to 500 percent and she still
had problems.

I suggested that they get a used computer and go to an
installfest. I also suggested and gave them our list
site to get in touch with the PLUG mailing list.

Now, being new to the Senior Center, I think that
possibly there might be a need for one of my 'junkers'
a k6-2 350 to be setup for the blind IF anyone knows
how. It is totally available for wipeout and install
of any distro that is best suited to the purpose of
demo'ing what Linux has to offer the blind.

Now IF anyone wants to tackle this, I can try to get
the system either to the next installfest or other
arrangements.

Once installed, I could drag it into the Senior Center
for demo's on a pre-arranged basis.

The problem is I am here on Saturday's 10a-2p altho I
could 'skip' one weekend IF necessary. I could also
get the system down to the Muse next tuesday IF
someone wants to take it and set it up.

I am just a Knoppix hacker, and definitely not aware
of what and how to setup for the blind. Altho, I
should be..severe glaucoma here. Loose the left eye
and would need it myself.

Just a request/thought.

Boy did I feel lost today when that couple came in.

=====
Cyclists should expect and demand safe
accommodation on our public roads,
just as does every other user.