Re: Microsoft: Stranglehold on the world.

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Microsoft: Stranglehold on the world.
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 14:38, Joseph Toon wrote:
> I read the full case study at microsoft.com
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/wpnas/productinformation/casestudies/scotprovpress.mspx)
> -- it kinda went like this:
>
> Used Mac OS 9 servers = corruption, crashes, etc .. no good.
> Evaluated other solutions, only solution available was Linux (mid-2001)
> Linux worked except for fast Sherlock searches
> Apparently used the Linux solution until October 2002 (they didn't list
> an interm solution) (1+ years)
> Switched to Windows NAS that had Sherlock comaptibility (Oct 2002)
> Article dated Feb 2003 (4 months)
>
> Its interesting to note that they never said anything about having
> issues of crashes, corruption or other issues with the Linux box, just
> no Sherlock compatibility. I'm curious on how well the Microsoft-based
> NAS solution has held up over the past 1+ years and if it is
> meeting/exceeding expectations.

----
I installed a Dell NAS (specially packaged Windows Server 2000) on a
hybrid network (both Mac & Windows clients) and also Linux PowerEdge
servers. Works OK.

Had some difficulty with shared directories - Mac/Windows/NFS -
permissions can be tricky.

I had some problems with Windows users and file locks accessing NAS via
Samba from Linux server and I think that it's mostly due to running
Symantec AV Corp Ed on the NAS (not gonna live without it) so I opened
it up to clients directly. When it was time to put Mac clients online, I
chickened out and opened that up to Mac clients directly since netatalk
hadn't fully resolved issues with OS X 10.3 clients.

It participates fine in LDAP permissions with Samba as domain controller
and NAS as a member server in the domain and it provides user/password
access control from the LDAP.

New version of Netatalk is in beta stages (still professed not to be
ready for production use but RSN).

It would be interesting to see some competitively priced packaged NAS
servers running Linux but there are apparently some kinks to yet work
out.

As for crashes / corruption on Mac AppleShare IP servers...that seems to
be user error though they can be finicky, I've not seen corruption. I
have been underwhelmed by Mac OSX server.

Craig