Re: Re: Microsoft: Stranglehold on the world.

Author: Michael Havens
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Re: Microsoft: Stranglehold on the world.

Thanks for restoring my faith Joe.

Have you seen the joecartoon website?
:-)Mike(-:

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Toon
Sent: 6/7/2004 5:38:33 PM
Subject: Re: Microsoft: Stranglehold on the world.

I read the full case study at microsoft.com
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/wpnas/productinformation/casestudies/scotprovpress.mspx)
-- it kinda went like this:

Used Mac OS 9 servers = corruption, crashes, etc .. no good.
Evaluated other solutions, only solution available was Linux (mid-2001)
Linux worked except for fast Sherlock searches
Apparently used the Linux solution until October 2002 (they didn't list
an interm solution) (1+ years)
Switched to Windows NAS that had Sherlock comaptibility (Oct 2002)
Article dated Feb 2003 (4 months)

Its interesting to note that they never said anything about having
issues of crashes, corruption or other issues with the Linux box, just
no Sherlock compatibility. I'm curious on how well the Microsoft-based
NAS solution has held up over the past 1+ years and if it is
meeting/exceeding expectations.

On a possible positive gain for Linux -- a local private school deployed
a W2k3 based network last summer. This summer they are planning on
migrating to Linux with intent to having all servers + desktops deployed
on Linux within the next 2 years. I find this rather interesting because
their setup is fairly current with W2K/WinXP desktops and W2k3 servers
(x3). I talked with the main IT guy at the school last night, discussed
benefits (LTSP, centralized administration, remote admin, virus/spyware
issues, etc..) and have requested that he documents the process and
eventually create a case study stating the current infrastructure,
reason for changing, why Linux was selected, deployment issues, and
ultimately the level of satisfaction in the solution. I'll keep all of
you posted. :)

Joe

Michael Havens wrote:

>A loss for Linux.

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or viruses.
Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with every account.

http://www.vei.net/