Re: Letter to the editor

Author: Alexander Henry
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Letter to the editor
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:49:15 -0700, Craig White <>
wrote:

> -----
> I think that a 1/5 up-front cost is entirely unrealistic
> I think that 1/2 the maintenance cost is probably unrealistic and of
> course, it all depends upon what you are calling maintenance costs.
> Then of course, there is licensing costs (acquiring, record maintenance
> - which for a governmental office, shouldn't be too difficult), security
> costs, etc.

That was just a hypothetical, dude. I'm working with a client who is
opting for a new $350,000 machine instead of an open-source solution with
existing 1.5TB hardware they have now. That makes a 0/1 ratio, much less
than what I stated above.

--

--Alexander