Entry level job (was Re: Job:)

Author: Trent Shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Entry level job (was Re: Job:)
I have increasingly come to believe that entry-level IT jobs do not exist.
(Well almost. You still see the very occasional posting for "graveyard shift
computer operator" or printer-sitter. Even then, the add usually *asks* for
training and experience on an obscure operating system.)

Partly its the down IT economy, partly its the outsourcing competition.

However, I think its mostly the same reason you don't see advertisements for
"entry-level surgeon. Experience desired but talent more important."

You would have to be either crazy or stupid to trust mission critical IT
functions to an unknown tyro hire.

I have ceased to ask the (practical) question of how I can get an IT job and
started asking the (theoretical) question of how an ASU grad with a brand now
four year CS degree or 4/5 year CSE degree gets their FIRST job.