VMWare and /dev/rtc

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: PLUG
Subject: VMWare and /dev/rtc
Hello:
Here's one that's been driving me crazy. I installed VMWare on a Mandrake
machine (Mandrake 8, actually, couldn't get it working on the newer
Mandrake.) It runs horribly because it can't see the real-time clock
(/dev/rtc.) Actually it says this device doesn't exist, but I can see in the
/dev directory that the /dev/rtc file DOES exist. I'm starting vmware as
root so it shouldn't be a permission problem. I've been googling this to no
avail. Somebody posted something about needing to recompile the kernel
(ugh!) is that really true? (I can do it, I just hate doing it, that's all.)
Why the heck would anyone in their right mind omit rtc support from a
default version of a kernel?

Thanks,
Vaughn Treude