Re: Installfest, last Saturday of the month, 10:00

Author: Michael Havens
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installfest, last Saturday of the month, 10:00

That sure is nice of you Dean. We could use this stuff for promo material.
Anything that we don't give away I'll store in my spare room until we do give
it away. Well, I do need a PCI graphics card if nobody minds. And if you do
mind, my ISA grfx card is doing fine (unless it is what is giving me the
"data parity error ... durring address or write data phase".
--
<:-)Mike(-:>

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 21:17, Dean McCarron wrote:
> Hello all -

> installfest posts motivated me to join.
>
> Part of my business involves researching PC hardware, so I
> either get free demo units or purchase a lot of it, never to
> be used again after testing. So much that it turns into a
> storage problem. About once a year I give it all away and
> the installfest looks like a good forum for this.
> (In case you're wondering why I don't sell it, it's because
> it 1) takes WAY too much time and 2) selling "free" hardware
> I get just doens't seem right to me.)
>
> I've got six Intel 810-based semi-small-form factor PCs
> (mostly 1 GHz Celerons, I think one is a P3-800) with
> hard disks and RAM, and most have CDs or CDRWs. A couple
> are a bit noisy, and two are brand new. (These weren't
> demos but were in-use systems at my business.) One's a donor
> candidate by the sound of the power supply and missing
> drive bay cover. They're all legacy reduced which means
> they can't take floppies and MUST use USB peripherals --
> a USB keyboard will be needed to configure these and
> none come with the PCs.
>
> I also have a bit more than a dozen motherboards, most
> already with CPUs and some with RAM, and probably another
> half-dozen uninstalled CPUs, as well as about a dozen sticks
> of various flavors of DDR. They span the gamut from 1GHz
> Celerons to (I think) P4 2.8 GHz, and i810 chip sets to
> 845, along with a few SIS and VIA and Nvidia Nforce boards.
>
> About a quarter of the stuff is true "eval" product, marked
> engineering sample or "secret," but it's all totally
> functional (they don't send stuff that doesn't work to me.)
> And it's no longer "secret" since it's stuff that's
> already shipping.
>
> I've also got tons of AGP graphics cards -- probably upwards
> of 20, along with a few PCI cards. They're mostly two generation
> old products (Nvidia Geforce 2/3/4, ATI 8500, etc.) A
> couple are still new in shrink-wrapped boxes.
>
> I want to get rid of all this -- the only catch is --
> I want to get rid of *ALL* of this, i.e. I don't want to bring
> anything back with me. If one or more folks can agree to
> take it/find good homes/forward to the proper donation
> candidates (my preference being students), I'd love to
> provide this pile of free hardware to the local linux
> community. I'm also free to help with linux installs for
> a while -- but I'm a slackware fan, so if you don't
> configure it with a text file under vi I'll probably
> be lost.
>
> Any takers?

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or viruses.
Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with every account.

http://www.vei.net/