Re: Version Control of Binary Files with Multiple Developers

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Version Control of Binary Files with Multiple Developers
Ed Skinner wrote:

>      I'm going to be working on some binary files (OOffice writer,
> presentation and spread-sheet files) along with some other developers. We're
> in widely separated locations (AZ, CA and MD) and the files will be on a
> machine to which we all have a "mount" (via VPN).
>      It's been a while but I don't think CVS will keep us from editing the
> same file at the same time and, because the files are "binary", the merge
> tools won't help us.
>      What's the best way to go? (So far we're all on Linux, at least.)
>      Thanks for any suggestions.

OOo's file format is actually XML but it compresses them by default,
thus making them binary. You could save them uncompressed and CVS
should handle them nicely. Then all the diff and merge would should
work. I have not tested this so YMMV.

I would strongly caution against having your work directory on a remote
mount. All the CVS developers in the CVS mail list claim corruption
problems on network mounted shares as the work directory whenever it
comes up. Unless the remote work directory is on the same box as the
CVS server, then some feel that works well. I would look into using a
local drive as your work directory, if that is possible.

The 'C' in CVS stands for concurrent. It is designed to allow two or
more developers to work on the same file at the same time. CVS does has
facilities to "lock out" other developers like watches, and there is a
patch available to do true lock out but it defeats much of the
functionality of CVS.

Whatever you do, have fun! It's cool that you are all on Linux.

Alan