Re: I just redid the drives on the HD

Author: Tony Wasson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: I just redid the drives on the HD
Michael Havens wrote:
> I was wondering what you all thought of the reiserfs? By lack of mention of it
> I suppose tihis means no one thinks to much of it.

I think the lack of mention is because file systems don't have tons of
fun knobs to turn and most people spend their time fiddling farther up
in the system. :-)

I personally love reiserfs and use it on all the systems I can. I have
not played with XFS or JFS, which I hear are both good too. I have had a
hard drive die with reiserfs and I did 'dd' to a new drive and data
recovery which was successful.

One server I currently watch over has a tad over 40GB of images (500,000
files) in a single directory, and reiserfs handles it very well. I have
never had a problem I could trace back to the file system, every disk
problem was a physical dying or dead disc problem. The new 4.0 code
looks great and should be ready soon.

My $.02
Tony