RE: AMD64

Author: plug
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: AMD64
It is my understanding that AMD has Opteron designs aimed at the server
and workstation market. While it is my understanding that there is only
one Itanium design, it has been used in both servers and workstations,
as well. I understand that the Opteron and Itanium take decidedly
different approaches to 64-bit processing. I believe it could be argued
that Itanium's is a cleaner solution, while Opteron's is more likely to
be widely used, as it allows people to move gradually to 64-bit
processing. Either way, I wasn't trying to upset anyone, I geniunely
found it amusing... But, that's just me. ;)
-Erik

>>> 04/16/04 8:35 AM >>>

This is the problem with communicating over text methods, I didn't mean
to diminish the AMD64 bit processor, I was trying to examine the
difference between the Opteron and the Itanium. We must also qualify
here that Opteron is geared towards desktop users, whereas Itanium is
geared towards server usage. In some respects it is like comparing
apples and oranges, some not. My main point was that the 64-bit
instruction set that Itanium uses is different from the 64-bit
instructions set that Opteron uses. I don't know how I got on the topic,
but there you go.

Alex