Re: I need some help understanding which programming tools t…

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: I need some help understanding which programming tools to use for my project.
On Apr 15, 2004, at 10:11 AM, Craig White wrote:

> nope - is it shipping yet? Last time I was in Fry's, V6 was on the
> shelves and V7 has promised to add some interesting things like
> triggers. But I have too much history with Filemaker to get sucked back
> into it again and would never start a new project with it.

It is shipping and it is very different product from previous versions.

> I really shouldn't have to defend my opinion...it is only that - an
> opinion.

I think it's OK to ask you the basis of your opinion though and enquire
about your level of expertise. Without such information, how are we to
tom evaluate it.

> There are workable things such as 4D and Visual FoxPro as well
> and they probably scale a lot better than Filemaker for multi-user.

Please look back at the original post. Multi-user wasn't part of the
context.

> Filemaker's strength is the Q&D and it's weaknesses is in networking,
> data checking and lack of a programming language. Peer to Peer
> networked
> Filemaker is marginal at best and server based becomes a costly venture
> and server based V7 won't be an option for some time.

The lack of a programming language could be a real advantage for
someone with domain knowledge but no programming knowledge. Not that I
think FileMaker's scripting language is particularly deficient. I agree
that it would be better if one could just type it though.

> The mission here is open source and it appears that GNU Enterprise
> offers some real tools (albeit early development and light on
> documentation).

True but I was answering a question from someone who wanted to *sell*
commercial software to small businesses. That's not where GNU
Enterprise is ever going to be strong.