Re: Fundamental issues with open source software

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Fundamental issues with open source software

On Apr 15, 2004, at 10:14 AM, Craig White wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 10:01, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2004, at 9:42 AM, Craig White wrote:
>>
>>> Possibly but home networking isn't any easier on Macintosh or Linux
>>

>> I'm afraid that this is turning into a "what is he smoking" type of
>> thing. I've never met anybody who couldn't find the check box and
>> check
>> it on Mac OS. I've met folks who didn't have the right software
>> installed in Linux but once they knew what packages they needed, they
>> had no problem turning on networking.
>>
>> Now, to be very fair, Mac OS and Linux both come with default
>> configurations for networking that are suitable for newbies. Windows
>> doesn't so you need to decide what to share and that is precisely
>> where
>> a lot of newbies go wrong. Once your needs get a little more
>> sophisticated, Mac and Linux are identical and Windows is pretty
>> similar.
>>
> ---
> that is however - your opinion and please do not be alarmed that I
> don't
> agree.

At least I stated the basis for my opinion; Observations of actual
users. I a have observed many of them.

> I find your assertion to what I've been smoking stupid and offensive.

Please note the distinction between:
> "I'm afraid that this is turning into a "what is he smoking" type of
> thing"

which characterizes a discussion and 'You're smoking crack' which
characterizes a person. I actually hold you in pretty high regard and
meant only to imply that the discussion was becoming unworthy of *both*
of us.