I need some help understanding which programming tools to us…

Author: Bupkus
To: plug-discuss
Subject: I need some help understanding which programming tools to use for my project.
I've been dancing around this programming project on and off for years and
I've started work on it again.

I have relatives with a family childcare business. They don't like their
current software which they can't modify and support won't either... sound
familiar?

The fact is I just don't know where to begin. I have a very little
experience some years back with MS Access 2.0 but I don't think that will
help me now. I do have MS Office 2003 Pro with Access, but even if lets say
I use that, after all that work, I can't market it even if it's good enough,
can I?

I would like, in time, to release two families of a product; one for Windows
and a cheaper alternative for those willing to do Linux. Maybe even a mix of
both for those daycares with more than one computer.

I have VStudio .NET which I've started learning but I don't know how I could
augment it with a small database like what Access has.

Can you offer some guidance as to which tools to use in either Windows or
Linux? Thanks.