Re: apt-get install & KDE 3.2.1

Author: Tony Wasson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: apt-get install & KDE 3.2.1
Michael Havens wrote:
> What I have done is commented sources.list except the stable. What has caused
> me to do this is the trouble I am having with KDE 3.2.1.

What was the error message, have you tried reinstalling those packages?

> There is a certain package, however, that I want the unstable version of
> (ayttm). Could someone tell me how to get this?

If apt-get install can't do it, chances are you're going to have a
slightly bigger problem after you force it. That being said....

When I have to try and install something like this, I usually go to
http://packages.debian.org and search for the package, then I download
the i386 package. Finally, I install it using dpkg -i somepackage.deb.

After I go down in flames (90% of the time), I usually try to get some
help by using "apt-get -f install" or "dpkg -r package". Note that when
using dpkg -r, the package name will differ from the filename you used
on dpkg -i. I may also try getting the other dependencies needed by hand.

Tony