Re: stupid shell tricks again

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: stupid shell tricks again
On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 18:39, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Craig White wrote:
>
> > s=`echo $((i / 1024)) Mb where 2000 Mb is the maximum space allowed.`
> > echo "Your Profile is getting too large. You probably need to clean up
> > your email or move some of your files in your My Documents folder. The
> > total size of your profile including email, My Documents, etc. is $s" |
>
> You should have told us that is what you wanted in the first place.

----
what and get cheated out of the 4 1/2 hour learning experience of one 10
line shell script?

hey, I tried to tell you with the pseudo code ;-)
-----
> But I am glad you figured it out now. :)

----
I can see some value in exchanging perl scripts / shell scripts with
other sysadmins.

I clearly needed a hammer to pound on these users that don't delete
their email. I thought the penalty of long log on/log off times for
users with 2 gigabyte roaming profile users would motivate them to clean
up their mail & My Documents (the carrot), now - I'm ready to use the
stick. BOFH in training I just may have to show them the quick way to
get under their quota problem ;-)

Craig