Re: xmms and m3u URL

Author: KevinO
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: xmms and m3u URL
Alan Dayley wrote:
> I cannot get xmms to open an m3u file in a URL. It just pops up the file
> browser list when started from the command line or just sits there and plays
> nothing.
>
> For example, this command from the command line, "xmms -mp
> http://magnatune.com/artists/music/Electronica/Electronica-http_shuffle.m3u"
> brings up the main window and they file browse box. Nothing plays. The time
> counter does not move. I'm not sure what to do.
>
> I'll be googling but I thought I'd ask the group for ideas.
>
> -xmms 1.2.8 with mp3 plugin
> -Fedora Core 1
> -KDE 3.2

Xmms works for this if you use it as a 'helper application' for mozilla and
click on the link in the browser window.

MIME Type: audio/x-mpegurl
Extension: m3u

Open it with: /usr/bin/xmms

This implies that:

wget
http://magnatune.com/artists/music/Electronica/Electronica-http_shuffle.m3u ;
xmms -mp Electronica-http_shuffle.m3u

(all on one line)

should work, and it does...

- --
KevinO

If built in great numbers, motels will be used for nothing but illegal
purposes.
        -- J. Edgar Hoover