Re: Mozilla Mail / IMAP troubles

Author: Matt Alexander
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Mozilla Mail / IMAP troubles
On 18 Mar 2004, Kevin wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 07:40, Matt Alexander wrote:
> > I have users that have lots of subfolders in Mozilla mail. When they move
> > messages to a folder, the messages don't show up. Some folders will
> > appear empty. They can go into the IMP webmail and see all the messages
> > in each folder, however. But for some reason these messages aren't
> > showing up in some of the folders (some folders work fine and have their
> > messages) in Mozilla mail.
> > We're using Courier IMAP and Postfix on the server. Mozilla 1.6 on Win2K.
> >
> > Has anyone encountered this before?
>
> I have not encountered this, but I do remember some conversation in the
> past about some IMAP servers and clients having issues with subfolders
> which contain both files and _more_ subfolders. Seems like Mozilla and
> Courier IMAP were the chief complaints.

Courier IMAP uses the Maildir format so it can support both files and
subfolders in the same folder, unlike say, UW-IMAP. Everything works as
it should from within IMP (http://horde.org/imp/). It's Mozilla that
seems to have problems.

> Is the problem only with multi-level subfolders? Experiment with
> subfolders that contain only files and NO additional subfolders. This
> might point you in the right direction.

The problem is with any level of folders. Messages don't always show up
in Mozilla mail.