Re: startx on debian - Don't Need No Stinkin JVM

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: startx on debian - Don't Need No Stinkin JVM
OK, while the list server has been sleeping, I have
solved a few of my Debian problems.

Victor Odhner ranted previously:
> But I MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING, as usual. ...
> Does the X window system *really* depend on this
> *one* file hidden out of reach deep in the citadels
> of IBM, ...

Um, well, no. I got X running finally.

The JVM thing was a requirement of Tomcat 4.
Once I told apt to deconfigure that request,
it was able to finish building X for me.

Then I had a mouse problem. Debian for some reason
couldn't detect a three-button serial mouse on
/dev/ttyS0. I was able to borrow a working mouse
config section from Knoppix (thanks, Mike) and
insert it into my config file for Debian.

Lesson 1: With apt-get, don't install something
you don't need at the same time as something you
do need, because if the former fails you might not
get the latter. It's sort of like compiling a
program: failure is failure, it's all or nothing.

Lesson 2: Confirmed once again that you have to
be a pretty serious techie, and very persistent,
to get Linux running -- especially if you have the
Bfstplk rain cloud hanging over your head.

Vic