Re: startx on debian

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Re: startx on debian - Don't Need No Stinkin JVM
Subject: Re: startx on debian
KevinO wrote:
> I found this link using Google... Don't know if it's what
> you want or not.
>
> http://ftp.cdut.edu.cn/pub/linux/develop/LinuxJVM/ibm-jdk-l118-linux-x86.tgz

Thanks again, Kevin.

Yes, that's the file I wanted, but as I said in my previous
message, I decided I don't want to use an unknown source in
China or Russia for a piece of software that is kind of central
to my system. Of course maybe I'm being silly here --
I don't know who runs all those Debian mirrors worldwide, but
at least they are sort of semi-official.

But I MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING, as usual.

I doubt that Joe Bfstplk[1] could have worse luck installing Linux.
I have been trying to install Debian for the past week, because I
heard all the talk about how wonderful apt-get is. So this is the
first time I actually typed an apt-get command, and it's turning
out to be just as fruitless as my aborted attempts using RPM.

Please understand, I'm trying to learn Linux as something other
than a cult phenomenon. I started a long thread a few months ago
by griping that the Linux desktop refuses to work for me.
So now I'm griping again, out of "principle", because I have
to search worldwide

And I've heard that Debian is so true to the concept of Free
Software, yet it's held hostage to a single corporate site.
Does the X window system *really* depend on this *one* file
hidden out of reach deep in the citadels of IBM, with its only
(unauthorized) mirrors in China and Russia?

That's a pretty slim thread to hang the whole Linux desktop on!

I mean really, this seems a little bit surreal. Isn't there
a different version of X that I could install instead? X is
way older than Java, so I don't understand why the only way
I can get a GUI on a Debian system is to use this one
specific Java Development Kit, available from exactly *one*
defunct URL in North America, or *one* that may work in Asia,
or maybe *one* in East Europe. Just call me Indiana Bfstplk,
the hapless continent-hopping seeker of lost legendary files.

My language is becoming quaint. I'd better go to bed now. ;-)

Thanks fer listening ...

Vic

[1] Bfstplk? See here: <http://www.lil-abner.com/other.html>