Re: OOo question?

Author: June Tate
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OOo question?
On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 00:02, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 22:32, wrote:
> > I received a very quick reply asking what email client I
> > would recommend and also wanting to know about compatabilty(sp)
> > between OpenOffice and MSoffice. Email was easy I recommended
> > Thunderbird but I having not really used openoffice that much
> > so I sent a link to the OOo Faq page but I was wondering what
> > you guys can tell me? This is my first experience with a MS IT
> > guy who wants to start using FOSS and I would love to see as
> > much of it as I can in this office.
>
> I've been using OOo at work quite a bit lately, the one thing I can say
> is get 1.1, it is sooo much better at MS documents (versus 1.0). Alot
> of people in my office got turned off to it after the admin installed
> 1.0, and haven't gone back with 1.1 :( But, I've been editing all the
> documents that I'm supposed to be using Word for in OOo.
>
>         --Ted

On that note, I've been using OOo exclusively for writing school (ASU --
as such, all I have available there is Word and Excel) papers and lab
reports -- the documents that both Word and Excel are perfectly readable
and editable in OOo, as are the files that OOo generates for the other
two, respectively. In fact, I had more problems with cross-compatibility
between Word for Mac and Word for Windows than I had between either of
the two and OOo!

Keep in mind that most of the advanced features I haven't really touched
yet (such as inline graphics, revisioning, etc.) so this isn't a 100%
thorough test. Virtually every Word document that I've pulled down off
of my class websites and opened in OOo has been formatted correctly and
looks virtually identical vs. Word's representation. YMMV, though.

--
June Tate * * http://www.theonelab.com