Re: newbies: "bash > GUI"

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: newbies: "bash > GUI"
On Mar 10, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Alexander Henry wrote:

> Agreed, Chris.
>
> For those of us interested in educating people on computers, though,
> this opens up a neat education path. When I read this I kind of felt
> like I found my glasses on the tip of my nose. First get people
> using Bash with tty display; then when they find their limits in
> dumb-terminal only, get them using X with a very dumb twm, so they get
> their graphics when they type commands into the terminal; then when
> they're comfortable with this, let them use KDE/Gnome. Then after
> those four weeks, watch the light bulbs go off! And watch them turn
> off all those KDE popups! It's the same path we all had. I think
> this article shows that this kind of path may be necessary, to kind of
> build a more robust trellis. They may not learn everything to the
> same degree we do, but that's their choice. It's ours to show the
> way, and this might be a better way to do this. We might be hurting
> more than helping by starting and ending in GUI only.
> I'm introducing my wife to HTML in vi. She's doing okay, but there
> was some confusion with the terminal in a window. Even when I showed
> her a Konqueror window with the same file list, it wasn't clear for
> some time. Starting with the terminal without the X might have been
> easier.

Some of us started with with VMS or CPM or some other CLI so we have
always know that it really is better for some things. They we
discovered Unix and while there are some really nice shortcuts, you are
never going to discover them without help. I think the notion of a
teaching version of bash has a great deal of merit. Of course this is
coming from someone who *still* has edit aliased to emacs and search
aliased to grep.