Re: OpenLDAP revisited

Author: Don Calfa
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OpenLDAP revisited
Craig White wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 08:42, Don Calfa wrote:
>

>>I really need some help here guys.
>>
>>All I want is to have a directory that I can pull email address from so
>>that I don't have to have a 'master' email address list that I share
>>between my many mail clients. Does someone have a working slapd.conf
>>and a dummy ldif I can import just to see this work?
>>

>---
>I have openldap running but I don't have an 'addressbook' yet. I mean to
>get this running in the next week or so. It's not an easy thing to do.
>
>You should have a separate container for addressbooks...
>i.e. if your basedn is something like
>dc=mydomain,dc=com
>
>then your addressbook should be something like:
>ou=Addressbook,dc=mydomain,dc=com
>where objectclass of Addressbook is organizationUnit, top &
>structuralObject
>
>and then...
>cn=name1,ou=Addressbook,dc=mydomain,dc=com
>objectclass=inetOrgPerson
>
>Editing them is going to be somewhat tough - gq/phpldapadmin are clumsy
>and none of the known addressbook/mail clients are going to work.
>
>Craig

I don't have a problem with the mechanism of using ldapadd and putting
in the address by hand. If there will be alot of edits and I feel that
phpldamadmin or the Java ldap prowser/editor are clumsy, I'll write a
PHP tool to help me do that.

The problem I have is the initial "getting the first address in" to
actually view it somewhere.

I found that the openldap docs and the RH docs are missing a key syntax
ingredient. I can't believe that I'm the only one with these problems
and I find it harder to believe that the docs are true to the letter.

From the http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/LDAP-HOWTO/dbonline.html:

The example given is for the initial entry is:

o=TUDelft, c=NL
objectClass=organization
description=Technical University of Delft Netherlands

cn=Postmaster, o=TUDelft, c=NL
objectClass=organizationalRole
cn=Postmaster

It's the same for the "dc=example,dc=com" however I found that to get ldapadd to work,
those entries need to be changed to:

dn: o=TUDelft, c=NL
objectClass: top
objectClass: organization

dn: cn=Postmaster, o=TUDelft, c=NL
objectClass: organizationalRole
dn: cn=Postmaster

Now, this still doesn't add into the database but I don't get the errors that I got before so at least I feel that those changes are worthwile.

There is/was a Three stooges configuration that was helpful and I still can't get that file to import.

Craig, what are you using your openldap for?