Re: posting pix to the list

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: posting pix to the list
technomage wrote:
> I don't have personal webspace (never bothered
> to set it up as its the MS extentions crapola
> in use by Cox.net).

Hey Mage, you give up too easily.

Just say "yes" to your personal webspace!

Go here to sign up:
<http://usercenter.cox.net/rsuite/sdcuser/default.jsp>
Sign in with your e-mail address and password.
Select Personal WebSpace.
Click "activate" next to your address.
(If you have several addresses, each can have a chunk.)

So, no Microsoft clutter so far.

Then go to shell and phone home:
    ftp -i members.cox.net/technomage-hawke
    ... nothing but net.

Content is visible immediately. I use my webspace
all the time for transient stuff, for passing stuff
around, and especially for this specific purpose:
conveying large content via e-mail.
It's a great resource not to be wasted.

They don't let you browse directories, so you have
to set up an index file of some sort. Or just know
the file name, of course.

P.S., I have a handy Perl script that generates an
index file for a directory, and another that uses the
Gimp to generate thumbnails for a directory full of
images.

I also have a son with about a terabyte online ...
long story ... so I use his site for anything I want
to keep out there long term. But it's harder to
upload to, and not much bandwidth, while Cox is really
easy. Their management interface is quite adequate, too.

Vic