making the mouse wheel work

Author: Lynn David Newton
To: plug-discuss
Subject: making the mouse wheel work

ds> Check your XFree86 config:

  ds> mouse:
  ds>     Option        "Buttons" "6"
  ds>     Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
  ds>     Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

  ds> kbd:
  ds>     Option    "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"

Yeah, that's a helpful clue. Brushing the cobwebs out

rpm says I'm running XFree86-4.2.0-72.

It's been since November 10, 2002 that any changes have
been made to my X config, and that may have been when I
last upgraded the system. I vaguely recall, sometime
the last couple of versions, they changed the default
name of the config file. It's /etc/X11/XF86Config,
right? I see another file in that directory called
XF86Config-4.deprecated, and I seem to recall that in
times past I struggled mightily with trying to modify
the XF86Config-4 file, but that is no longer necessary.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ds> YMMV depending on XFree86 variant.

See above.

ds> There's some nice gui way to get the keys but I
ds> usually probe with xev and set with xmodmap.

At this moment xev responds to nothing from my mouse
except the standard two buttons.

Happily, though, it does see respond when I press any
but one of the glitzy extra keys on my keyboard. (There
are 20 extra keys.)

ds> Google is your friend too. :-)

Well, thank you for that helpful reminder.

Google is your friend if you know what to look for, or
have three or four extra hours to spend digging through
useless and irrelevant information, experimenting
endlessly with configs, stopping and starting X, taking
a chance on leaving yourself totally disabled, while
you're busy trying to make a living as a contractor,
rather than asking an email list most of whose
subscribers are knowledgeable people, and to which list
you subscribed mainly for the purpose of getting quick
and informed answers to questions such as mine.

Point is, if I thought nobody in this group could
answer my question directly, I would have looked on
Google to begin with.

I spent way too many years playing with Unix systems.
Now I just want them to work so I can get things done.

--
Lynn