making the mouse wheel work

Author: David A. Sinck
To: plug-discuss
Subject: making the mouse wheel work

\_ SMTP quoth Lynn David Newton on 2/25/2004 11:48 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_
\_ Greetings,
\_
\_ Friday of last week my beloved Acer ergonomic keyboard
\_ went kaput and I had to run out to Frys to get
\_ something to replace it. I'm now using a Logitech MX
\_ wireless dual keyboard and optical mouse with eight
\_ buttons on it. The receiver plugs into the standard PS2
\_ ports.
\_
\_ Of course, not one of the glitzy extra buttons on
\_ either the keyboard or mouse do doodleysquat under
\_ Linux. I even need to press both the main mouse buttons
\_ together to emulate button2 for pasting from the
\_ clipboard. (I endured a similar workaround on the
\_ Acer.)

Check your XFree86 config:

mouse:
    Option        "Buttons" "6"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

kbd:
    Option    "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"

YMMV depending on XFree86 variant.

There's some nice gui way to get the keys but I usually probe with xev
and set with xmodmap.

Google is your friend too. :-)

David