Re: Total newbie needs network setup help!!!

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Total newbie needs network setup help!!!

On Feb 20, 2004, at 6:38 PM, ec wrote:

> I think I have working hardware, at least the cables
> light up the idiot lights, but after that I am lost!!
>
> I need someone who will help me setup a 3 puter linux
> network for home usage by phone/internet (don't
> want/need someone to come and set it up). I am getting
> dsl next week since qworst has it cheap now. Wife and
> I want to share a networked dsl connection. I am
> putting a smoothwall router betwix the dsl modem and
> the 5 port switch. An airlink model aws105. The router
> is/will be a p120 1.5g 32megs ram.

Why do you think it won't 'just work'? I don't know much about Knoppix
but my Gentoo live CD just works. Do you have some reason to suspect
that Knoppix won't?

Why all the hardware? I think the Actiontec DSL modem/router that Qwest
provides has four ports + wireless. Why would you need another router
and a switch?

I wouldn't worry about things not working before you have a DHCP server
on the LAN.