Web Credit Card Transactions

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Web Credit Card Transactions
Austin Godber said:
> Mark Phillips wrote:
>> Just to set the record straight, a customer does not have to have or
>> create a PayPal account to make a payment through PayPal.
>>
>> From the PayPal Buy Now Button User Manual page 16
>> (https://www.paypal.com/en_US/pdf/single_item.pdf):
>
> C'mon Mark, surely you must own at least HALF of ebay, which owns
> paypal. You just like to slum it and hang out with the Linux guys at
> PLUG right?
>
> Actually, thank you for pointing this out. They should make this much
> more clear on their website ... it takes considerable digging to
> discover this.
>
> With paragraphs like this:
>
> "When a buyer clicks the Buy Now button, he will be taken to a secure
> PayPal payment page, where he can log in to an existing PayPal account
> or sign up for a new one, and quickly complete the purchase."
>
> in their Buy Now button page ... it is easy to get confused. They don't
> seem to promote the fact that people don't need a paypal account.

Before I get flamed. Yes I have a paypal account. I desperately needed
something and the only way (at that time) I could get it was via paypal.

However, note that Paypal acts like a bank/credit authority but is under
no regulations that banks and credit authorities are. That makes them
*dangerous* to some degree. There is an interesting site called
http://www.paypalsucks.com that explains some horror stories.

I know lots of people that adore paypal and a few that hate it. I merely
suggest be aware and informed.

-Derek