OT: DSL options

Author: Kevin Brown
Subject: OT: DSL options
> I am looking at getting dsl, I am a Qwest suscriber and have a few
> questions.
>
> 1. I assume that it is linux friendly?

Depends on your level of competance and who you get as your ISP. I have no
issues with Linux and Qwest since I'm able to debug the issues up to my router
before calling them.

> 2. I am looking at http://fastq.com/resspecial_offers.php and am not sure if
> that is the entirety of the price or if I need to add more stuff.
>
>>Monthly charge for 256K/256K DSL service now $15.00 on a month-to-month plan
>>(was $21.95)

That is the cost for the ISP, you still need to add the cost of the line itself
to that.

> 3. Will I have issues with multiple computers?

Again, depends on the ISP. I have multiple systems attached to my DSL links,
but they are hidden behind a router and I don't pay for a static IP address.

> 4. Can I get a modem cheaer from somewhere besides qwest... kinda expensive I
> think

Qwest only rents modems now (or that is all they did starting months ago). I
happened to get signed up before they instituted that ($5/month charge) and got
mine on specials for either $50 for the first and got the second with a special
for $0.

I know that Netgear and maybe some others manufacture actual DSL modems (not
just routers for use with cable/DSL). You'll need to make sure the modem
supports your line encapsulation format (CAP or DMT).

> 5. Not sure what I do not know...

I'm not sure what else you don't know either, heheh. Hopefully this removes
from the list of unknowns, heheh.