Console programs in Linux

Author: Robert Ambrose
Subject: Console programs in Linux
If I'm doing something that is direct access to a device's serial port,
I tend to use cu from the uucp package. Minicom is more or less a
terminal emulator and that gets in the way sometimes. OTOH, if I'm
dialing into a client via modem, I use minicom. Also file transfers are
much easier using minicom (zmodem, et al) then cu.

FWIW, for connecting to a Cisco device's serial port, I make a RJ-45 to
DB-9 (or db-25) adapter that uses a standard straight patch cable
instead of a roll-over cable. That way I don't have to deal with
special cable. Customers make a science out of losing those.

rna