Debian deletes modules??

Author: Deepak Saxena
Subject: Debian deletes modules??
I'm having some difficulties getting the nvidia driver to
stay on my system during a reboot. I've downloaded the
latest version from nvidia and installed it and X runs
beautifuly. However, when I reboot, the nvidia.o module
is getting deleted from /lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/video.
I am not sure what would cause this, and I see the following
in the driver install log when I reinstall, so I am fairly
certain that I am not just doing something stupid:

-> Unable to access previously installed file
'/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o' (No such file or
directory).

Anyone seen this before?

Tnx,
~Deepak