[Website Poll] Feature holding back Linux adoption

Author: George Toft
Subject: [Website Poll] Feature holding back Linux adoption
Ted Gould wrote:

> This week:
>
> Feature holding back Linux adoption
>
> - USB device detection
> - No Microsoft Office
> - No Outlook/Notes
> - Lack of multimedia
> - Too many distributions
> - No one to blame
> - No clue
> - Other (write below)
>
> http://plug.phoenix.az.us/
>
> Last week:
>
> Best way to promote Linux
>
> IBM Ads         ****** (2)
> Suits           *** (1)
> Linux Speedo    *** (1)
> Other Speedo    ********************* (7)
> Word of mouth   ****** (2)
> Local           *** (1)
> Other           *** (1)

> Analysis: I think the most people on the list think that when the Linux
> desktop is easy enough for swimsuit models to be able to use, it will be
> easy enough for everyone ;)
>
>                 --Ted

>                        Name: signature.asc
>    signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

Holding back adoption in what area - server or workstation? My main
client has adopted Linux as a server platform to replace Solaris.

I have long held that Linux could be used in the corporate world as a
desktop OS. At my last gig, the lack of any app that could read
Microsoft Project was the big block - from a technical perspective. At
my current gig, many people use Linux on the desktop and run VMWare for
remote connectivity as there is no Linux VPN client (they use very
specific, ie, proprietary, VPN software) for the VPN server.

In the home, it's simple - games. I would be 100% Linux at home if
Jumpstart Preschool, Buzzy's Airport, etc would run under Linux.

George

--
George Toft
Computer Security