Samba on start up

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Samba on start up
On Feb 7, 2004, at 11:39 AM, wrote:

> After much fighting I now have samba working on my desktop, but I have
> start it each I reboot.In my /etc/inetd.conf I have:
> #<off># netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/smbd
> #<off># netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/nmbd -a
> swat            stream  tcp     nowait.400      root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/swat

> I have tried several different derivations and the only thing that I
> have
> succeeded in is making it so that I can not manually turn it on. For
> that
> matter I was nto able to get SWAT to waork so i just modded the
> smb.conf
> myself. This is a debian syste,

I'm not sure about Debian. Some Linuxes use BSD style initialization
like RH, YDL and Mac OS X. Others use Sys V style. Look at the Second
Edition of "Using Samba" which is available on line at Samba.org. There
are scripts in there work for both BSD and System V style except that
with Samba 3 some things got moved to /usr/sbin/ that Using Samba
thinks are in /usr/bin/. This whole thing was complicated enough that I
got it working on a few systems and then burned a CD with scripts.