Which distro for the enterprise now?

Author: Thomas Cameron
Subject: Which distro for the enterprise now?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig White" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: Which distro for the enterprise now?

> On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 15:08, Thomas Cameron wrote:
>
> > If you don't want the support from RH but want the next version of Red

Hat
> > Linux, get Fedora. If you want support, get RHEL.
> >
> ---
> since you keep mentioning this, I will have to give you my preliminary
> conclusions about Fedora.
>
> Great on my desktop - not likely to recommend using it on any client
> server. Viability is the problem.
>
> Short EOL (yes, I understand fedora legacy)
> High amounts of experimental packaging

I would probably disagree with that - the Core builds are very solid. It's
very similar to Debian's stable, testing and unstable versions. If you use
FC1 (for instance), you will get a pretty darned stable build.

> The purpose of fedora is to keep it on the cutting edge and that's not
> my vision for servers. apt-get dist-upgrade is a wonderful thing - until
> we are discussing a server. I can get more stability from Debian (I
> think).

I'd want to do a real world side by side instead of relying on anecdotal
reports. I can only talk about my experience. In my case, I have not run
across any show-stoppers with FC1.

Thomas