Small bootable distro with Ktouch?

Author: Michael Havens
Subject: Small bootable distro with Ktouch?
You might want to email the author (at bottom), tell him what you plan, a=
nd=20
see if he can add it to the dist.
Good luck Jeff!

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 08:04 pm, Michael Havens said:
~
~ Here is some info on D. Small Linux found at http://www.damnsmalllinux.=
org/
~
~ What is Damn Small Linux?
~ Damn Small Linux is a business card size (50MB) bootable Live CD Linux
~ distribution. Despite its minuscule size it strives to have a functiona=
and ~ easy to use desktop.
~
~ Why?
~ Because having a working Linux desktop distro on a 50 mb bootable busi=
ness
~ card CD is just too cool not to do.
~
~ Screenshot?
~ damnsmalllinux-0.1=A0=A0right here
~ damnsmalllinux-0.3=A0=A01=A02=A03=A04=A05=A06=A07=A08
~ damnsmalllinux-0.3.9 (playing mpegs!)=A0=A01=A02
~ damnsmalllinux-0.3.10 (VNC client shot)=A0=A01
~ damnsmalllinux-0.3.11 (running Firebird)=A0=A01
~ damnsmalllinux-0.4.2 (running Xpaint, XzGV, emelFM, and Sylphed)=A0=A0=
1
~ damnsmalllinux-0.4.3 (showing off desktop icons)=A0=A01
~ damnsmalllinux-0.4.4 =A0=A01
~ damnsmalllinux-0.4.5:
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0new baby Tux
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0new theme, Oneko & playing Mpg
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0appfest, including patched Dillo
~ damnsmalllinux-0.4.7:
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0New apps; X Pacman, Rdesktop, FireBird 0.6.1
~ damnsmalllinux-0.4.8:
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0Playing a music CD while running in RAM
~ damnsmalllinux-0.4.10:
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0Playing w/TuxNES, using Nirc, editing w/Nano, and Surfing =
w/Firebird
0.7 ~ damnsmalllinux-0.5.1:
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0SciTe, Apsfilter, GostScript, and Ted
~ damnsmalllinux-0.5.2:
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0Showing MC, BashBurn, and gTuxnes
~ damnsmalllinux-0.5.3.1:
~ =A0=A0=A0=A0gPhone and Monkey webserver in action
~
~ What does it have?
~ Damn Small Linux has a nearly complete desktop, including XMMS (MP3, a=
nd
~ MPEG), FTP client, Dillo web browser, links-hacked web browser,
spreadsheet, ~ Sylpheed email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor
(Ted-GTK), four ~ editors (SciTe, nVi, Zile [emacs clone], and Nano [Pic=
clone]), graphics ~ editing and viewing (Xpaint, and xzgv), Xpdf, emelFM
(file manager), Naim ~ (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, Rdesktop, SSH/SCP serv=
er
and client, DHCP client, ~ PPP, PPPoE (ADSL), a web server, calculator,
generic and GhostScript printer ~ support, NFS, Fluxbox window manager,
games, system monitoring apps, a host ~ of command line tools, USB suppo=
rt,
and pcmcia support. For more information ~ check out the applications=A0=
pages.
~
~ If you like DSL you can install it on your hard drive. Because all the
~ applications are small and light it makes a very good choice for older
~ hardware.
~
~ My goal in creating Damn Small Linux is to have enough tools and toys =
on a
~ business card sized CD to get work done *and* have some fun.
~
~ How?
~ I started with model_k, which did an excellent distillation of Knoppix
down ~ to 33 megabytes.=A0 From there I went through and removed what I =
could,
~ including Locals and documentation, I know, that's not a good thing, b=
ut I
~ had to make room.
~
~ As many know Knoppix is based on Debian which really made my task a lo=
~ easier, but the applications on the CD are not pure Debian.=A0 I am usi=
ng a
few ~ apps that are not available via apt-get.
~
~ The applications I am using are the best compromises I could find betw=
een
~ function and size.
~
~ To make room I had to remove the entire dpkg database structure.=A0 Bu=
don't ~ freak out, I saved it for folks who want to try to remaster from=
my
iso. ~
~ X?
~ It is a combo of Debian packages and the Kdrive Xvesa and Xfbdev serve=
rs.=A0
It ~ works beautifully on most computers but it runs slower than what mo=
st
Linux ~ users are use to.=A0 That's the cost of keeping it all small and=
lite.
~
~ ToDo?
~ Clean up and refine.
~
~ Where can I download it from?
~ :-)=A0go here.
~
~ My email address is:
~ john _at_ damnsmalllinux.org
~ (please go to the=A0user forum=A0for tech questions)
~
~
~
~